Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I made it to the field!!



Hi everyone!!! 

Oh my goodness seeing your faces was the best thing ever, but also the hardest thing. The bishops wife just held me in her arms after and gave me kisses so it was nice to have a mommy hug.

Anyways, holy cow I am a for real missionary now!! It is CRAZY here. I was in Cusco for three days where we visited the Christo Blanco and the plaza and got to go contacting in the plaza de armas in Cusco with our new companions! Cusco is beautiful and I hope I get to serve there eventually. Our mission is huge. We have everything from cities to jungles and everything in between. I am in Puno wich is right next to lake Titikaka or however you spell it and my sector is Huanya Capac. It is freezing here, but I am surviving!! the city is worth being cold! We have been warned that the people are a little hard hearted here, but so far it has not been too bad! Ive only gotten one door slammed in my face so far! Lots of drunks here though so at night time we have to be super careful. Also, the dogs here are vicious. Everyone in this mission that has gotten bit was in Puno.. but I have my dog zapper so I am sure I will be just fine!
 
Ok my companion is Hermana Beckstead and she is from Colorado. She has been out for 11 months and she is tall as well so we just tower over everyone here its hilarious. We are very different, but she is so sweet so that is all I care about! 
So we are actually opening this sector which is super cool, but also hard because we have to start from scratch. These past few days we have just been trying to get to know the area, members, and contact a ton. We actually have found some new investigators so I am super excited! One experience we had was we were walking up the mountain and we stopped at a snack shop and started talking to this woman, she had her back towards us and was kinda ignoring us, and then I asked her what is most imoprtant in her life. She said her family and so I told her how the gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families and changes lives and I know this because it has blessed my family and changed my life. I also told her that our message is something very special and that it is ture. She then turned around to face us and started really listening to us and told us we could come visit her! It was amazing to see someones heart be softened just through a small testimony. We also taught a woman named Maribel at her front door. She is catholic and told us she is concerned about her health, we asked if she wanted us to pray with her and she agreed and asked me to say the prayer. I got so nervous, but I really just tried to let the spirit guide me to what I should say and after the prayer I couldnt remember all of the things I said, but Maribel said we could come visit her this week so I knew that somewhere in my prayer she felt something and that is all that matters! I have learned a lot this week to really let the spirit be the teacher because these people probably will not remember all the words we say, but they will remember how they felt so if I can touch their hearts somehow and have them feel the spirit, I have done my job as a missionary because the real converter is the spirit.

Not going to lie, this first week in the field has been tough. My trainer, the bishop, and our District Leader keep telling me I speak better Spanish than most new missionaries, but a lot of times I have no idea what is going on and its kinda hard to not feel useless or stupid when they laugh and say oh greenga, but I have made a point this week to really let the spirit guide me in all things and develop a stronger relationship with my Heavenly Father. I had one of my first experiences where I literally felt like God was talking to me through the Book of Mormon. I love this gospel with all my heart. Every time I start feeling down, I pick up the Book of Mormon or say a prayer and I immediately feel my Heavenly Father close to my side. I love this feeling and I love the little and big miracles I have seen every day since I have been here. I know I truly am in Gods hands and I have made a promise to Him that I am putting ALL my trust in Him. 

I hope everyone is doing well! Oh I was told if you are going to send packages, put mary stickers and crosses on them so that they get here easier and its more likely it wont get stolen! Funny, but true.
I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! as always, thank you for your prayers. I feel very loved and so close to you even though I am far away.
Love always and forever
     Hermana Kenzie Hunter






No comments:

Post a Comment